Friday, October 14, 2011

The Run Around

By the time I got to my second week I knew I wanted to extend.   I had met incredible people, I loved my job and I was living in paradise, what more could I ask for.  After a shift I said to my manager “I would really like to extend for about 2 weeks”  she said she had to talk to my supervisor and she would get back to me. While I waited to hear back I talked to some of my mates and they said I might as well stay longer, the longer I stay the more money I save and then I can travel for months and not work.  Why not I loved it there anyways.  Five days later I still hadn’t heard anything back so again after work I asked “have you talked to Jim yet” (my supervisor) “no I haven’t, I will tomorrow”  “ok, well I would really love an extension, I love my job here and really want to stay till at least mid-November possibly January.  I then went to HR to talk to them. ( My manager has to go to HR who has to go to the Chief of Village of final decisions. )
I was a little on edge for the next little while.  I still didn’t have an answer therefore I didn’t know what was going on and I was getting stressed out.   One day at work I asked my supervisor what was going on he said they were cutting staff but there were two spots available.  They were 100% keeping Jarrett because he wanted 3 months and that someone from FnB (food and beverage) had put in a request to transfer.  Nothing against my work ethic but that was the decision. Then as I went to sign out at the end of the day my manager says “Emmie I am cutting down to 7 staff so I’m not giving you an extension!”  Just like that, in front of everyone.  I was a little embarrassed and upset.   I went right up to HR and told them I would do the three months.  That I really wanted to stay and I wasn’t ready to leave.
I was far from ready.  Everything was amazing on the Island.  I lived in the best spot, I had amazing friends who I adored and I kind of started dating someone.  Everything was just perfect and didn’t want it to end.
The next day while putting up curtains with my supervisor he said “you should’ve said you can stay for three months” and then continued to tell me about how the French Canadian guy Christian got the position and that all the paperwork was getting done that day.  The next day I see Christian and his wife  Nadia.  “Hey Emmie did you get any good news about your extension?”  “I didn’t get it!  You got the position!”  “No!  they told me to come back that no decision had been made.”  “they told me all the paperwork got done yesterday.”  “they give you information they don’t tell me.  It is your job I don’t want to take it from you.”
I was so frustrated.  I didn’t know what was going on.  I went to speak to HR again and she said I wasn’t the only one trying to get an extension and that I should be prepared to leave the following Tuesday when my contract was done; but then that night at disco she said “Emmie I don’t want you to leave I am doing everything to keep you on the Island.”  Dan and I had no idea what was going on,  we didn’t know if I was coming or going, staying or leaving, packing or settling.  He even wanted to get me in the kitchen with him as a dishy but they don’t allow girls to be dishy’s.  WTF!!!  

I was gutted!  I didn’t want to leave, everything was perfect and I was so happy. In honour of myself I threw a Keep Emmie on the Island Party where I took marker (that we borrowed from kids club) and wrote in big letters on a club med towel to make a banner that one of the guys wore as a cape.  It was a success the boys showed up and got pissed up and then we all headed to the disco.
  Head’s of departments were telling me not to worry something would come up, looking to see if they could find a spot for me anywhere on the resort.  Then Scottie, gardens supervisor said “hey I need another person in gardens would you be interested”  “HELLS YES!”  “allright then let me just run it by Luke.”  Well Luke said yes,  all he had to do was talk to HR.  Oh great here we go again…the run around.  5 days later I still hadn’t heard anything it was always come back, we haven’t spoken, your fine don’t worry,  I have a meeting I will know tomorrow.  I was getting so anxious it was the last day of my contract and I still hadn’t heard anything!  And to top it off HR was closed for the day!! Dan kept telling me not to worry, that I had massive support to be kept on the Island there is no way I was leaving.   Finally, I was told to be at a meeting the next morning to get everything sorted out.  It sounded really positive and raised my spirits a little bit,  it’s the closest thing I had to a reply in days.
The next morning after my meeting I went straight to my room to wake up Dan.  “How did it go?”  “it didn’t” “it didn’t” “what do you mean it didn’t”  “they said there is no budget and I have to leave tomorrow morning”  I couldn’t believe it!  Actually no one could believe it.  “What do you mean you didn’t a get transfer” “that’s bullshit” “why do they always get rid of the good ones”  “I just don’t get it”  people I have barley even spoken to knew I didn’t get it and were coming up to me.  The guys were knocking on my door asking for hugs and how they heard.  Dan had told everyone when he saw them at work.  “there is nothing else I can do to keep her here. We’ve tried everything.” 
I was told of a few spots opening up in a couple weeks but I had to leave and come back if they accepted me into the job.  It seemed pointless.  So unwillingly I packed up my little donga all day and got prepared for my last night with my Island family.  It was a really nice night, all the boys showed and even some of the chefs popped up when they were done work to say goodbye.  As much as I didn’t get to stay the love and support I had from everyone was enough for me.
It was a sad goodbye on the jetty the next day.   I didn’t let Dan come and say goodbye.  “it’s bad enough I am leaving I don’t want to have to say goodbye, besides you are coming to Airlie in a couple days I will see you then.”  The guys came down with me “Emmie why are you crying we will see you in Airlie on Friday” Graeme the bus driver got out and hugged me.  “you take care of your self sweetie. I love you.” Then he looks at me “oh don’t you start crying” then it came to my goodbye with Shira.  Shira is the reception manager and me and her became mates one night over some wine.  I had spent a half hour in her office the previous morning crying when I didn’t get my extension.   She came up to me put her arms around me and we hugged so tight (well as tight was we could as I had on my massive backpack)  “emmie you are such a beautiful person,  good luck with everything and never change.”
I so did not want to get on the ferry.  The guys were taking pictures of me leaving, everyone was waving and singing “na na na na hey hey hey goodbye.”  I hated every minute of it.  There were a few of us leaving so at least I didn’t have to do the travel on my own.  It took us hours to get back to Airlie.  By the time I checked into the hostel it was 4.5 hours later.  It was such a long day.
I ran into a friend from the Island so we hung out for a couple days at the bars during happy hour.  I even ran into a mate from back home that I hadn’t seen is 6 years, it was so random.  Dan came out on Thursday for two nights.  He told me the girl who got the PA position was leaving in a week and the spot was opening back up!  WTF!  Aidan and Max (2 of our mates that just finished their contracts, also PA) said that it was 100% that she was leaving and my one supervisor was trying to get them to hire me back.  It’s retarded!  Plus there are ad’s up all over Airlie for immediate work on the Island?!?  It makes no sense to me what so ever.  Dan left today and he is heading straight to HR to find out what is going on.
Oh well, I’m just thinking of this as a mini vacay and the fact that there is a gastro outbreak on the Island I don’t mind not being there.   We had a wicked two days. Shopping, watching movies, bar hoping, swimming in the pool.  It was really nice to have some time away from the Island.  Now to continue my vacation I am heading on to a boat called the Clipper.  One of the best party boats to go on through the Whitsundays.  Honestly, even with the run around I have had with the Island, life is great and it just keeps getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment