Monday, October 31, 2011

The Clipper

I left you all off with me waiting to go on The Clipper,   a backpacker boat in The Whitsundays with a reputation of being the craziest party boat!!! Let me tell...The Cipper definately held up to it's reputation.  To be honest,  I wished I was in my early 20's again so I could've really gotten involved as much as the younger ones did.  It was a mix of Jersey Shore and Spring Break in Cancun on the water for 2 nights....that's probably not the best way to describe it because it makes it sound horrible and not give it the justice it deserves but those are the only words that seem to fit with an explanation of my experience on the boat.  In other words AWESOME!!!!  Come on, we all know I love JS!
Anyways, I had to walk to the Marina, it was only a 20 minute walk but with my overnight bag, a box of Goon and massive humidity it was brutal.  I was swearing at the company under my breath about how much money I spent and there could at least be a bus. I was sweating and my goon was heavy and I had absolutely no idea where I was going.  They said follow the path but it turned and then disappeared and with my sense of direction I was ready to turn around and go back to the hostel and let the boat keep my $400, but with determination and asking for directions I finally made it.
We all boarded the boat put our stuff in the bar area and went upstairs to the main deck to have our orientation.  Jimmy one of the decky's comes out and says "alright guys we are only suppossed to have 53 people on this boat and we have 55 so we need to find out who the idiots are before we can leave."  He begins reading off names and everyone is saying here, here, here.  After about 10 names this girl said "did you say this was the Clipper?" "Yes"  "Ummm ya we are the idiots, sorry guys"  we all clapped and waved them on there merry way.  Jimmy says "wow this looks fun lets just randomly walk on a boat filled with backpackers and see wehre it takes us!"  Anyways with all that figured out we finaly set sail and
had a bit of an orientation that went something like "welcome to The Clipper....please use our toilet paper not your own as ours is made for the toilets....your goone is in the beer fridge....ladies no strings no wings in the toilet....the music and beer fridge close at midnight....there is a spa on the lower deck....please do not jump into the waters tonight there are sharks.... guys those little rubber things you "sometimes" use please tie a knot at the top and place them in the rubbish bin....for all of you drinking goone the cups are in the cupboard that say cups so please do not ask where we keep them.  Tonight is a night of drinks and music so grab your goone and whatever else you backpackers drink and party!  Definatly my type of boat already.
I ended up sitting with 4 girls that I spent the next two days with, Amy, Selina, Emily and Ketchup...yes that's right Ketchup.  She is Dutch and when people can't say her name properly it ends up sounding like Ketchup so that's what she calls herself.  
A few hours later I was pretty pissed and I looked over the side of the boat and I say " OMG guys look at the sharks!"  "ummm Emmmie they are dolphins and they have been swimming here for 2 hours!"  I'm sorry I was drinkning goone we all know what happens when I drink goone...it's like tequila for me I take one sip and say "see you guys tomorrow" which is exactly what happened.  I ended up passing out at 10pm and when I woke up the next morning to Jimmy singing at the top of his lungs to wake us up I didn't even remember I was on the clipper.  I was so confused.  With bleery eyes I got dressed into my wet shorts and bathing suit and made my way up for breakfast.  Jimmy after his singing said "alright guys get your bacon and eggs up in the bar area!" So all the guys roll out of bed and race up the stairs only to find toast and fruit, lol too funny.
"My clothes are still wet from being thrown in the spa last night" I said when I sat with the girls at breakfast.  "Thrown in? No Emmie you went in willingly"  "oh dude really, fuck, I remember getting thrown in." "nope you went in willingly and then you flashed the guys"  "oh no really?  oh...and now that you mention it I remember...I swear it's the goone I am a completely different person when I drink it!"
Our first stop that morning was to Whitsunday Island where we would get to spend the morning hours at Whitehaven Beach.   Before going to the beach you head up a hilll to the look out.  Now everyoe is extremely hungover and dying on this trek complaining how hard it is and that they feel like dying...me who would usually be winjing myself was so used to hiking up and down the island hills that I was like "hard?  come on guys suck it up this is an easy trek"  honestly living on the island and having to hike to and from work everyday has totally helped my fitness level.  Anyways the look out is where all the pictures of the Whitsundays are taken for postcards and let me tell you the view from there was postcard perfect.  Blue blue water with swishes of the whitest sand swirling through it.  That's all I can say to describe it,  I don't think there is anything to describe what it loooks like except "you have to go see it!"  Seriously that's it!  I don't know what else to say. It was beautiful, it was breathtaking, stunning, incredible...whatever else you can think on is probably just the tip of what it looked like.  I could've looked at it all day but the beach was calling my name, so me and Stu (one of the guys I met  on the Clipper) made our way back down the path to head to the beach.  
As we are walking we hear a rustling sound in the bushes and see something "oh my god what is that?" said Stu stepping back.  - Stu is quite new to Australia so not overly used to the wildlife here.  Me on the other hand don't freek with snakes and spiders anymore and am picking up bugs with my fingers...I know I know but what can I say. - Next thing you know an oversized lizard slowly, taking his time walks out on to the path in front of us and making his way down the hill.  "It's just a Guana, don't be such a pussy" I said calmly getting out my camera as I had never seen one and wanted a picture.
Whithaven!  WOW!  Fucking incredible!  I loved it as much as the beach in Abel Tasman.  It was so incrdibly beautiful.  The first view of the beach when you leave the tree covered path to the white sand is incredible.  The sand is the whitest sand you have ever seen and so incredibly soft on your feet, and you see miles of white that eventually meets the clearest water you have ever seen.
  The sand is made with silica, it's the only beach in the world with sand like this.  You can shine your silver,  rub and wash your skinn with it making it soft like a new born baby's bum,  brush your teeth to whiten them it was amazing.   The water is crystal clear...I mean crystal clear.  You look down at your feet and it's like you are standing in a bathtub looking at your feet in the water.  It was so refreshing and felt so good.   We sat all morning in the water hanging out and playing around using Stu to put us up on his shoulders so we could get photos.  Washing our skin and brushing our teeth with the sand which didn't feel the greatest when rinsing the our now hot bottles of water.   We could've stayed all day but it was time to head back to the boat so we could get our mid day feed and head to Hook Island for some afternoon snorkelling.
I wasn't overly keen on going snorkelling.  The girls were all planning on going but I had already gone in Cairns and ended up struggling to much and not enjoying myself so I was gonna hang back on the boat with Stu  and a few of the guys and enjoy the waterslide and the divingboard, but when I saw that the snorkellers and divers were being dropped off on Hook Island not out in the open water like in Cairns I decided I wanted to go. I grabbed snorkel gear and hopped on the dingy boat with Amy.  
The first bit of snorkelling wasn't the greatest or should I say the first part of the water wasn't the greatest.  There was this brown algae on top of the water that stinks and makes you feel like you were walking through poo...I had to hold my breath...but it only took us a minute to wade through it and then we were off.  I am so glad I went.  The water was calm and the sun was shinning and I didn't have to struggle with my swimming like the time before.  Amy hadn't snorkelled before and was a little nervous which I was ok with because I was still a little nervous in the water.   They gave floating noodles to go out with so we doubled them up and just chilled out and took our time.   We ran into Selina, I mean swam into Selina...so she joined us and we snorkelled around together.  Amy finally had the nerve to look in the water and loved what she saw.  It was really awesome!  The coral itself wasn't what I had seen in Cairns but the fish....there were so many of them.  There were heaps of Dori fish and Zebra fish that at one point I felt like I was at the zoo in the Zebra section.  "Wow, my fish Jack would love it here.  It's short for Jack Daniels.  I also have Smirnoff but Jack would definatly love it here!"  "Selina I don't think this would be overly safe for your fish"  I said as I put my head back in the water.  "I know but he would love the coral and all the fish he would have so many friends." "Selina...haha are you still talking, here we are snorkelling away and you keep talking about your fish Jack.  Stick your head in and enjoy it"  " I know, I'm just saying the would've loved it.  He died awhile back."  Amy and I started laughing.  "Still he would've loved it."
That night was a fucking crazy as party.  First we all had to go in these big bins and grab clothing and put it on.  The clothes stunk so bad lol.  You could tell they were clothes people had left behind and were covered in alcohol and sweat from previous parties on the boat. 
The guys...of course...put on dresses and got their makeup done.  I don't know what it is with boys and dresses, I swear they all want to be women.  One of the guys Stu wore a bra on his head.  Amy stuffed the front of Lukes shirt to make him have boobs, they were so uneven and saggy it was awesome.   The staff was dressed up and was involved with everything.   The whole night was to see who the King/Queen of the Clipper was.  People got illiminated every round and when they got eliminated we had to sing "nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbye"   NO!  I was thinking....that's what they sing when you leave the island lol I really don't want to hear or sing this.  The games were crazy we had to pretend to be zoo animals, one round theycalled freeze and we had to hold our positions we couldn't move or laugh, even if they tickled us we couldn't crack a smile.  While holding ourselves still the staff came around and put us into sexual positions.  There was a guy and girl standing beside me.  They bent her over and put him in a position with his beer botthe up to his mouth and made him hump back and forth the whole time.  This was the only thing I could see and I was doing everything not to laugh and I survived the round and moved on.  One round the guys were Eucalyptus trees and the girls were Koalas and we had to climb them and hold onto them.  Next round we had to be letters of the alphabet.  "Right lets make the letter B"  So I jumped up and wrapped my legs around one of the girls and curled up in a ball.   A third girl curled up at the bottom of her legs.  " Her head is in my croch"  "Thats ok" I replied "I am actually resting my ass on her head and my face in your boobs...this isn't akward at all.  My name is Emmie by the way"   The next round is where I got eliminated.  We had to pretend we were in a rowing competition, we had to keep together and row as fast as we could.  I never want to be a rower.  It was hard work, I think we even moved a foot across the boat we were rowing so hard.  I was a little upset I didn't make it on to the next round but when I turned around and saw that almost everyone still left in the game were naked I was so thankful I could just drink and watch the craziness that at one time in my life I would've been involved in and loving.  There was music and strobe lights and singing, it was insane, if we were on the mainland we would've shaken the ground.
I was one of the last ones up...I know it's amazing...I wanted to go to bed early but Stu kept saying "no Emmie you have to stay up tonight, enough of this sleeping business."  A few of us hung out upstairs on the main deck with Jimmy  he told us when they were cleaning out the spa that morning to refill it, it was clogged with someones underwear.  "honestly, his said there have been so many things I have seen on this boat it's incredible."
The next day we were heading back to Airlie but we got one more snorkel off of Hayman Island.  THE best snorkelling I have done in Australia so far.  The colours of the reef were incredible and there were so many things I hadn't seen before.  At one point I was completely surrounded by Dori fish and I mean surrounded I could stick my finger out and touch them they were so close to my face.   One of the staff had thrown in fish food so they would come around and boy did they ever.  There were so many you could see them pop out of the water and feel the swim up against you.  I was a little freaked out but it was worth it.   There was this massive fish (I don't know the name)  they call Elvis that we could pet and swim with.  It was amazing,   I wanted to stay in all day, I didn't want to get back in the dingy but we had to start heading back to the mainland.
When we got back to the Clipper we really wanted to do one time down the waterslide.   Awsomeness!  plus there were these huge blue fish swimming with us it was cool.
That night there was an after party at Phoenix and a drink and half a pizza for $5.   The girls and I went but after I ate my pizza I was ready to go to bed.  "You do too much sleeping for my liking Emmie" said Lee.  I didn't actually go to bed I was meeting up with Aidan and Max as it was Aidans last night so I went for a few drinks with them and headed off to bed.  
I had a message from Dan telling me to call HR when I got back.  They had found me a job and were going to move him and I into a double room.  Once again I got the run around for 2 days finally with an answer "sorry Emmie but Vickie won't let you back"  I waited around for nothing!   I didn't know what to do or what my plans were but then Dan quit his job on the island because he wanted to come with me but he still had to stay another work.  My friend Siimon hooked me and Alexa (from the island) up with his friends apartment for 4 nights rent free.  All we had to do was clean the apartment.  Perfect.  The days went slow and were boring, Dan and I were counting down the days until I got to go to the island.  I was going back on the Tuesday night (his last night) as his guest for the night.  It was so much fun and felt so good to be back,  the boys were happy to see me and so was everyone else.  "Party tonight boys" "of course Emmie your here" "Umm it's my last night"  Dan says "ya but Emmie always throws parties...Emmie wants to get drunk party...Keep me on the island party....I'm leaving the Island party....I want to party party....andd we love them you can come though"
The next day we made our way back to Airlie and then booked the bus to Cairns for the next day.  Honestly 10 hour bus rides are not fun, but we went with Premiere and they have more leg room then Greyhound and they play movies almost the whole way so we really couldn't complain. 
So it was back to Cairns.  It feels good to be back, my Aussie landing ground.  I walk in the door and I hear "Emmies back!"  Everyone wants us to stay but we really want to find work in the Outback for the next 3 months.  I know, more isolation but it is the best way to save and make money, and it is quite nice being away from technology.


what was the thing i need you to remind me about the clipper

No comments:

Post a Comment